The BEST spreadable yogurt cheese that you could ever taste! This recipe will teach you 3 things: how to make yogurt (Laban), how to make yogurt cheese (Labaneh), and finally how to make today’s treat – SHANKISH!!!
- 1 gallon whole milk
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 pack Canaan Za’atar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Making yogurt (Laban):
- Bring gallon of whole milk to a boil.
- Let cool until warm (about 45-50C), then separate 2 cups of warm milk.
- In a bowl, add ½ cup of plain yogurt and mix gently.
- Let it sit for 2-3 minutes, then add to warm milk pot and stir gently.
- Wrap yogurt mixture pot with a blanket and leave aside for 5-6 hours.
- Remove yogurt from blanket and put in the refrigerator to cool.
- Now you have homemade yogurt (Laban)!
Making yogurt cheese (Labaneh):
- Add a teaspoon of salt to yogurt pot and mix well.
- Place yogurt in a clean cotton pillow case, and let it hang over a sink or a tub for 12-14 hours.
- Yogurt will thicken to a creamy cheese consistency.
- Scrape out of pillow case and place in a glass jar or container and allow to cool in refrigerator.
- Now you have Labaneh!
- You can make Shankish out of the labaneh by rolling creamy labaneh into large marble-size balls.
- Dish Za’atar onto a flat plate.
- Roll labneh balls over Za’atar.
- Place on a plate, drizzle olive oil on top.
- Serve with bread, toast, or crackers. Enjoy!