In the Palestinian Mezza, shanklish is the most delicious spreadable yogurt cheese you have ever tasted!.
The recipe presents three different techniques: How to make yogurt (laban), How to make yogurt cheese (labaneh), and How to make the treat we are making today, Shankalish.
Making yogurt (Laban):
- Bring a gallon of whole milk to a boil.
- Let cool until warm (about 45-50C), then separate 2 cups of warm milk.
- In a bowl, add ½ cup of plain yogurt and mix gently.
- Let it sit for 2-3 minutes, then add to warm milk pot and stir gently.
- Wrap yogurt mixture pot with a blanket and leave aside for 5-6 hours.
- Remove yogurt from the blanket and put it in the refrigerator to cool.
- Now you have homemade yogurt (Laban)!
Making yogurt cheese (Labaneh):
- Add a teaspoon of salt to the yogurt pot and mix well.
- Place yogurt in a clean cotton pillow case, and let it hang over a sink or a tub for 12-14 hours.
- Yogurt will thicken to a creamy cheese consistency.
- Scrape out of pillowcase and place in a glass jar or container and allow to cool in the refrigerator.
- Now you have Labaneh!